Many people believe that strength and conditioning training is all about two things; either building up layer after layer of muscle to make you look like a bodybuilder, or losing weight. Well, both outcomes are possible, but there is so much more to it than that. At Team Beaver Strength and Conditioning, we believe that everyone, no matter their age, physical condition or activity levels, will benefit from this type of training.
A common misconception
Weights are just for bodybuilders, right? Well, actually, that’s not right. There are many different types of weights and also different ways in which to use them. At Team Beaver, we get to know our clients to build a relationship of trust, so that we know exactly what you want to get out of your sessions. We don’t just whack a load of weights on a bar and make you lift them!
We tailor your programme to get the best results for you. We use a combination of weights, cardiovascular work and resistance training to ensure that you are improving your overall health, which is always our aim. Sure, you may lose weight along the way and that’s probably going to make you feel great, but knowing that your body is growing fitter and stronger with each session is the best feeling!
How does it work?
Strength and conditioning training is about finding the best exercises for you and your body. Team Beaver uses a combination of training types, including the ones listed below:
- Free weight and machine weights – Resistance exercises provided by items such as medicine balls, barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells and sandbags, or a machine that uses gravity as the primary source of resistance.
- Resistance bands – Great for toning muscles and working with injuries, these bands come in different levels of resistance to make the workout as challenging as it needs to be.
- Calisthenics (bodyweight training) – A variety of movements that exercise large muscle groups, using minimal equipment and repeating movements in sets, or reps.
- Plyometrics – Often used for a specific outcome by athletes, these exercises involve exerting maximum force in short intervals, such as jumping on and off an object, skipping or lunges. It’s all about building the power of your muscles.
- Strongman training – A set of typically around 8 or 9 exercises that are designed to build mass, improve cardiovascular fitness and speed, as well as core strength. If you have a strong core, you are less prone to back injury.
- Metabolic Resistance Training – The best type of workout to make you lean, improve your CV fitness AND you continue to burn calories after you have finished training.
We also use other methods of training to get the most effective, targeted result for our clients.
Who will benefit from strength and conditioning training?
As noted, we believe that everyone and anyone will benefit. We will take on clients who range in age from 12 to 80 years old. Each one is unique, individual and looking for different results and outcomes.
We have trained special forces and police recruits, sports people and athletes, school children and retired people. We also work with people who are recovering from injuries, most commonly backs, knees or shoulders, who need to regain strength and mobility and improve their quality of life.
Let’s make it clear – there is no bad outcome with this type of training; there are many health benefits of regular exercise, both physical and mental, but strength and conditioning training is more than that.
Why should I choose Team Beaver Strength and Conditioning?
Team Beaver is all about individual results; if you have a committed and steady approach to your training, we will work hard to ensure that we design a targeted programme that is right for you – there is no ‘one size fits all’ mentality with us. It is all about how you train; for example, we will never instruct someone to do endless sit-ups, or ridiculously high reps with a kettlebell, particularly if they have back or shoulder issues.
What we will do is figure out the best type of training to suit you, based on the outcome that you want to achieve. We will work with you to turn you into the strongest, leanest and healthiest version of yourself.
If you do what you have always done, you will get the same results that you have always got. Try a different way; the Team Beaver way!